Stevia has become an increasingly popular natural sweetener in recent years. As more people look to cut down on sugar and artificial sweeteners, stevia provides a plant-based, zero-calorie alternative.
Steviva is one of the leading stevia brands on the market today. The company offers a variety of stevia products, including pure stevia extract powders, stevia blends, and other sugar substitutes.
But how well do Steviva’s products actually perform? In this comprehensive review, we’ll take an in-depth look at Steviva’s line of natural sweeteners, including their pros and cons, health benefits, potential side effects, and what customers have to say based on online Steviva reviews.
Overview of Steviva Products
Steviva was founded in 1999 by Thom King and has grown into a major manufacturer of natural alternative sweeteners. The company offers a range of stevia-based products, including:
- SteviaSweet Extract Powder – 100% pure stevia extract with no additives. It’s about 100-300 times sweeter than sugar.
- SteviaSweet 60% Reb A – Made from the most potent part of the stevia leaf (Reb A) and blended with erythritol.
- SteviaSweet 98% Reb A – Contains a higher concentration of the sweetest Reb A extracts. It’s 450x sweeter than sugar.
- Erysweet Pure Erythritol – A natural sugar alcohol derived from corn that provides sweetness with zero calories or glycemic impact.
- Steviva Blend – The company’s flagship product, combining stevia and erythritol. It’s twice as sweet as sugar so you use less.
Steviva also offers products like Fructevia, MonkSweet+, and Nectevia that blend stevia with ingredients like monk fruit and agave. The company creates products tailored for low-carb, keto, paleo, and diabetic diets.
Pros and Cons of Steviva Products
Based on our research, here are the main pros and cons of using Steviva’s stevia-based sweeteners:
- Pure stevia extract has no calories or carbohydrates. It doesn’t impact blood glucose levels.
- Small amounts of stevia provide intense sweetness allowing you to use less.
- Steviva Blend offers the sweetness of sugar with zero calories by combining stevia and erythritol.
- Studies show stevia may help lower LDL and total cholesterol levels.
- Steviva products are non-GMO, gluten-free, and diabetic-friendly.
- Stevia has a bitter, licorice-like aftertaste that some find unpleasant. Products cut with erythritol tend to taste better.
- There are some concerns that large amounts of stevia may negatively affect kidney health and blood pressure, but more research is needed.
- Stevia is much more expensive than sugar and other artificial sweeteners.
- Some users report digestive issues like gas or bloating, especially with excessive use.
Steviva Reviews: What Customers Have to Say
We analyzed numerous Steviva reviews from users across sites like Amazon, forums like Diabetes.co.uk, and blogs focused on low-carb diets. Here’s a summary of the feedback:
- “This Steviva Blend is a lifesaver for my low-carb diet! It tastes so much better than any other stevia sweetener I’ve tried.”
- “I have a major sweet tooth but need to watch my sugar intake. This MonkSweet+ from Steviva satisfies my cravings for something sweet.”
- “As a diabetic, I feel better using a natural sweetener like Steviva instead of artificial ones like Sweet’N Low.”
- “I tried the Steviva powdered stevia and it made everything taste bitter. Not a fan of the flavor.”
- “The granulated Steviva Blend worked ok in coffee but had an odd aftertaste in baked goods.”
The negative Steviva reviews seem focused on the strong aftertaste of pure stevia powders as well as possible digestive issues. However, the stevia/erythritol blends get significantly better feedback for their taste and baking performance.
Who Might Benefit from Using Steviva Products?
Based on the pros, cons, Steviva reviews, and product features, here are some of the key groups who may benefit most from using Steviva’s line of natural sweeteners:
- Diabetics – Stevia won’t spike blood sugar levels making it a smart sugar substitute for diabetics.
- Low-carb dieters – With zero net carbs, Steviva products like Blend and MonkSweet+ are keto-approved sweeteners.
- People monitoring sugar intake – The intense sweetness means you can use less stevia than real sugar.
- Bakers – Products like Steviva Blend perform well in baked goods as a sugar substitute.
- Anyone avoiding artificial sweeteners – Stevia is all-natural unlike saccharin, aspartame, etc.
Potential Health Benefits of Steviva Products
Some of the potential health benefits associated with stevia include:
- Lower cholesterol – Studies show stevia may lower LDL and total cholesterol levels by up to 10-14% in some cases.
- Blood sugar management – Compounds in stevia help improve insulin sensitivity and slow the absorption of sugar. This helps control blood glucose levels.
- Lower blood pressure – Early research indicates stevia extracts may aid in vasodilation leading to reduced blood pressure. More studies are needed.
- Pancreatic cancer prevention – The steviol in stevia has exhibited anti-tumor effects in lab tests by slowing the growth of pancreatic cancer cells.
However, larger scale human studies are still needed to better demonstrate most of these benefits.
Are There Any Side Effects or Safety Concerns?
Steviva products are generally recognized as safe by health organizations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and elsewhere. The acceptable daily intake is 4mg per 1 kg of body weight.
However, some potential side effects may occur:
- Kidney problems – There is some evidence from rat studies that extremely high doses of stevia could potentially lead to kidney damage, but human data is lacking.
- Low blood pressure – Excessive stevia consumption may lower blood pressure in certain individuals. Those with hypotension should use caution.
- Diarrhea or bloating – Some users report digestive upset, particularly at higher amounts. Start with small doses of stevia.
- Allergic reaction – Stevia is from the Asteraceae plant family so those with ragweed allergies could react. Discontinue use if any allergy symptoms occur.
Always start with small amounts of stevia and monitor your response. Consult your doctor before using if you have any medical conditions or take medication.
Key Takeaways on Steviva as a Natural Sweetener
Based on our detailed evaluation of Steviva reviews, here are the key conclusions about Steviva’s stevia-based sugar substitutes:
- Provides intensely sweet flavor with zero calories or carbs
- Blends like Steviva Blend improve the taste compared to pure stevia
- May offer benefits for blood sugar control and heart health
- Helps limit sugar intake as a diet aid
- Natural alternative to artificial sweeteners
- Potential for side effects like digestive upset at high amounts
- Better suited for use in beverages than in baked goods
- More expensive than other sweeteners
The convenience and claimed health upsides make Steviva products intriguing for diabetics and low-carb dieters wanting to cut sugar and artificial sweeteners. But the high cost and aftertaste issues mean it may not be for everyone.
Tips for Using Steviva Sweeteners
Here are some quick tips we’ve learnt from Steviva reviews for getting the best results when using these products:
- Start with very small amounts and gradually increase to find the desired sweetness. Stevia is extremely potent.
- Mix stevia powders thoroughly into drinks and avoid clumping.
- Add Steviva Blend to recipes calling for powdered sugar. Use about half the amount.
- For baking, cut back on other liquids in the recipe to adjust for the liquid in stevia products.
- Store opened packages in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for best flavor.
- Try combining stevia with erythritol or monk fruit to improve the flavor.
- Look for the Steviva products containing fillers like maltodextrin or inulin for a more sugar-like taste.
Our Top Steviva Product Recommendations
If you’re looking to give Steviva’s stevia sweeteners a try, here are a couple of their best products to consider based on numerous Steviva reviews:
For Baking – Steviva Blend
Steviva Blend combines stevia extracts with erythritol to provide great baking performance similar to powdered sugar. With no calories or carbohydrates, it’s the top choice in many Steviva reviews as a sugar substitute in recipes.
For Beverages – Fructevia
Fructevia mixes stevia with fructose, making it ideal for sweetening drinks from coffee to cocktails. The fructose masks the bitterness better than other stevia products.
Should You Try Steviva?
Steviva offers a wide selection of stevia-based sweeteners that can be a useful tool for those looking to cut back on sugar and artificial sweeteners in pursuit of better health. Products like Steviva Blend in particular stand out for their taste and baking utility.
However, some Steviva reviews have shown that stevia isn’t for everyone. The high cost, bitterness, and possible digestive side effects could be drawbacks for some. We recommend trying a small size first before committing to a large amount. Look for the company’s sampler packs.
Be sure to use any stevia product sparingly until you acclimate to its potency. And consult your physician before making it part of your regular diet if you have any medical conditions or concerns.
Overall, Steviva provides high-quality stevia options worth exploring for their potential upsides as a natural, non-caloric sweetener alternative.
Where to Buy Steviva Products
Steviva products are sold through natural food stores like Whole Foods and Sprouts as well as online retailers like Amazon and Vitacost.
Steviva Reviews: The Bottom Line
For those looking to cut back on sugar or artificial sweeteners, Steviva offers a range of well-regarded stevia-based products worth exploring. Their stevia/erythritol blends like Steviva Blend tend to provide the best taste and performance for baking and beverage uses.
While some users aren’t fans of the flavors, most Steviva reviews show that the natural origin, zero calories, and potential health upsides make Steviva products an intriguing option as a sugar substitute. Just be cautious with dosage and be aware of possible side effects.